Because the barriers to the inward journey will keep you from His presence
Last week we looked at the first of the nine ways I enhance my intimacy with God. Today we will look at #2-9
- Spend time alone with God. Verses 6-8
Five spiritual disciplines:
- Time alone with God. “I” and “My”
- What God is doing now.
- Need a mentor.
- Must apply what we read and learn
- God’s Word is our measuring instrument.
When you spend time with God, you are either:
- In prayer and mediation.
- In God’s Word.
- In worship and praise.
3. Avoid things which dull spiritual sensitivity (V1). Anything which takes away the desire to be with him will lead to sin in a person’s life.
4. Seek to please God (V 3-4). We surrender to him because we love him. He says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with your whole heart.” (Jer. 29:13)
5. Reflect on what God is doing in your life (V 2,3,6).
6. Find someone who models intimacy with God (V 11). When you place a poker next to the fire it get warm.
7. Participate in a group that encourages intimacy (V 2, 11)
8. Always ask “What Did Jesus Do?”
9. Understand Success in God’s eyes. Psalm 64:10 says “Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him; let all the upright in heart praise him!”